Chaos and Cacophony from a Jumped-Up Country Boy

Thursday, November 10, 2005

FreezeFrame(dc)

I used to love the Frames. I fondly remember heading off with a school friend to the Town Hall theatre in Galway in 1998 to see them play. We needed wheels but knew neither parent would have been happy letting us drive up and down from Mayo on a cold December night. So we told them we were going to the cinema and off we went, Easy Rider all the way. It was a risk. But we felt we had no choice. As seventeen year old outcasts in the west of Ireland, where reading was frowned upon almost as much as 'blow-ins,' songs like Fitzcarraldo spoke to our souls. We had no choice. And how we cried tears of joy as the passion of Glen et al reverberated through the venue like some possessed demon caught between redemption and damnation. Love at first sight.

Back then, I used to pore over Hot Press hoping for interviews, profiles, a few words from the Gospel according to Outspan. It was not to be. I now see this as an excellent thing, for every time the poor man opens his mouth, a little part of me hitherto devoted to his quest to succeed succumbs to hatred and contempt. On Pet Sounds last night, when asked would he be influenced by bands like the Arcade Fire, Glen professed his own emancipation from the passions of youth, stating that he's looking for something deeper in his work.

This from a man who still invokes rejection and the pain of lost love as his principle lyrical them. This while referring to a band who have just released an album so evocative, so meaningful and so beautiful that it transcends the realm of music into the domain of immortal art. The man is nearly forty, and he still acts like a fucking child. I now realise why so many hated while i persevered. I failed to realise that the Imbecile had no clothes.

I know this may seem a bit OTT but there's nothing more painful that divorcing yourself from childhood heroes who have become tossers in your eyes.

Have to meet my supervisor today for feedback on Chapter 1. If he slates me I'm quitting academia and goin' fishin'.