Chaos and Cacophony from a Jumped-Up Country Boy

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Stones of Influence

Listened to Pet Sounds last night, which played the top 10 most influential British albums of all times. There was something for everyone. Blur for the indie kids. The Smiths for the lyricists. The Stone Roses for the melodies. The Sex Pistols for pretty much everyone. The Arctic Monkeys for those who don't understand the word 'influential'.

I should state, at this juncture, that this is not a slight upon the Arctic Monkeys, whose music is growing on me at a frightening pace. However, to refer to them at this early stage as 'influential' says more about the world we now live in than it could ever say about the band itself.

No Bowie!

I was shocked.

So in response, I would like to know who you, my three and a half readers believe to be

a. The most influential British band of all time
b. The most influential Irish band of all time
c. The most influential band of all time.


a. Out of a group of The Smiths, The Sex Pistols, Joy Division, The Who, The Kinks, The Beatles and David Bowie, I am going to say.......The Sex Pistols. Not really a fan myself, but 'Anarchy in the UK' changed the music landscape in a way that no other album did before or since. It attached balls to melody and people rocked out like it was 1979. Personally, The Smiths would be my greatest British influence.

b. My Bloody Valentine. Personally, toss up between Horslips and Planxty

c. A very tough one, personally and objectively. But I'll have to go for the Velvet Underground, over Led Zeppelin, The Pixies, The Beatles and The Stones

Let the debate begin!!